The villa of Ulignano
One of the most interesting villas in the territory of Volterra
It was built between 1608 and 1615 by order of Admiral Iacopo Inghirami, on the remains of an older castle, the castle of Ulignano which for centuries had been under the control of the municipality of Volterra to defend its borders from the nearby city of San Gimignano.
The project of the villa was probably entrusted to the architect Gherardo Salvini, who had also worked at the Inghirami family’s palace in Volterra, who built a massive building designed to resume the style of contemporary Florentine villas.
A large park was set up around the villa that separated the manor house from the actual farm, where the buildings destined for productive activities were located. Annexed to the villa there is also a church built in the early fourteenth century and modified several times.