The Scornello Villa
A noble residence with its own chapel and farm
The Scornello Villa is located on the top of a hill about 10 km from Volterra at a height of 285 meters, and it’s surrounded by a big park that one can access through an avenue of cypresses.
Scornello is perched up on a small hill, which is also where the spring of the saltwater used for the extraction of salt springs. A document of the municipality of Volterra from July 23rd, 1228, talks about the sale of all properties that Ospedalieri di Altopascio had in Scornello, which at the time was a part of the “Spedaletto” of Agnano in Val d’Era.
The majestic villa was owned by the Inghirami family from Volterra, who bought the land from the municipality of Volterra at the end of the 1200s. The villa was probably built at the beginning of the 17th century, but it was vastly renovated in the following centuries.
The work environments were developed around the villa, and an Italian-style garden is still at the back of it.
The villa with its chapel and farm supposedly dates back to the 17th century, when a small rural “borgo” was built right next to it. The villa, located in between two smaller buildings, is set on two floors and includes a small tower with a garden at the back. The Scornello farm included 9 “poderi” between 1777 and 1794, when 4 other “poderi” were added.