The Villa Campani in Roncolla
The construction is a re-adaptation of the palazzo truss
On the regional road 68, a few kilometers from Volterra, towards San Gimignano, stands the characteristic and delightful village of Roncolla. Perhaps deriving its name from an ancient Runeum, the village still shows the ancient structure of the small walled nucleus, arranged from west to east, on whose western end rises the eighteenth-century Villa Campani, now of the Inghirami family.
In the walled village, the villa and the church stand out for their architecture and structure. The villa, which was a natural setting for the television drama “Portrait of a veiled woman”, presents an elaborate terracotta facade and garden with statues, rich portals and a stately gate that also closes the village. Belonging to the eighteenth century to Mario Guarnacci, the villa passed to the Sermolli and then, at the beginning of the nineteenth century, to Luigi Campani who restructured it “in an eclectic style”, as the engineer Campani called it.
The construction, re-adaptation of the palazzo for Garcia, dates back to 1822 when Ing. Campani, who had already designed the Teatro Persio FIacco, decided to join in marriage with Barbara, the last descendant of the Riccobaldi Del Bava Arrighi family. In the facade are in fact reproduced the coats of arms of the two families
In 1822, owned by Luigi Campani, the Fattoria in 1940 included a patrimony of 460 hectares and 15 farms. The last Campani, Mrs. Dina Campani, who married Ciro Inghirami, leaves the villa and company to Lodovico Inghirami and his heirs.