The villa and the village of Pignano
with two historical centers
The ancient Castle of Pignano has a long history behind it. For its position between Volterra and San Gimignano it was long disputed. It was born as a fortified village with a castle in the High Middle Ages and was the property of Count Ranieri of the late Ugolino dei Pannocchieschi, before the latter, now a resident of Travale, ceded it to the bishop of Volterra, by deed of 19 January 1139. His parish, entitled to Bartolomeo Apostolo, it is mentioned in the rationes decirum of 1275.
At the time of the synod volterrano of 1356, the parish church of Pignano had seven churches under it: San Giovanni d’Ariano, San Lorenzo di Cellole, Santi Ippolito and Cassiano in Sensano, Santi Jacopo and Cristofano in Spicchiaiola, San Vittore in Castro Populi and the church of Lippiano.
There are two historical nucleuses that constitute the village: the Ponente farm, composed of the residential villa and some farmhouses, which is accessed by a small arch of the embattled walls; and the Levante farm, located on the eastern side of the walls and of minor architectural interest. The town is served by its own cemetery, which is now in ruins even if clearly visible.
The Borgo is now entirely occupied by a “Borgo Pignano” resort where tourists, especially foreigners, stay in search of peace and tranquility.