The ancient fortress of Querceto
and the old church in the “borgo”
The castle, located in the small old town of Querceto, is now home to a winery.
It is a great example of the military system that used to be in place in Valdicecina. Because of its central and strategic location between inner Tuscany and the seaside, the valley is still home to many castles that used to have a defense role in the Middle Ages.
The castle of Querceto was first documented in the 11th century as part of the dioceses of Massa Marittima, which then gave it over to the monastery of Monteverdi. The castle was then handed over to Volterra, and it has been inhabited by Volterran people since 1208.