Parish Church of San Martino in La Sassa
of medieval origin
Certainly not to be missed is the Parish Church of San Martino Bishop in La Sassa. The church, originally dedicated to San Nicola, became a parish church in 1361. From its medieval origins damage and expansion transformed it over the centuries. The original building was quite small, a chapel, apse at the eastern end and entrance to the west. The most important development came about during the middle of the 15th century when the building was extended from the south wall over the ancient cemetery, this distorted the orientation.
The apse and main altar, together with the presbytery, were placed in this new part of the building, creating an unusual orientation with the altar to the south and entrance north facing. The bell tower was built in 1788, as recorded on the plaque under the bell compartment on the south wall. The church has never been important from the architectural or artistic point of view. The altars that were built along the walls during the 18th century were removed in the 19th century, in this same period the altar dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary was built, already endorsed at the beginning of the 17th century, as was the imposing entrance that reaches up almost to the roof on the north face.
Worthy of mention is the font in red marble from Castagneto Carducci (16/17th century), with a column with unpretentious decoration and a pentagonal basin.