A fortified “borgo”
The “borgo” of Mazzolla is located not far away from. Since the Middle Ages, it’s also been known with the name Paterno, and its first mention dates back to 1080, although we don’t know if it was a proper castle back then.
There are no remains of defence walls or towers. Maybe it was a villa, an open center used to best harness the agricultural potential of the area. It was fortified only in the 13th century a.D., at the same time as other similar settlements. The Villa Viti has been standing here for centuries and is still home to the Viti family.
Mazzolla is a small window on the landscape of Volterra and the
Berignone-Tatti forest. The small “borgo” encompasses a Romanesque church from the 13th century dedicated to San Lorenzo, the Viti family’s villa and some houses looking out on the road leading into the town.