The Sant’Ottaviano alla Nera Church in Volterra
with a gabled roof
The Sant’Ottaviano church is a small building with a gabled roof, all made out of stone.
A decorated door opens into the church, in a facade full of decorations. A squared bifora with an architrave held up by a small column is located above the door.
The church has been mentioned in different documents since 1161. It was a suffragan of the Nera Church, and it was built along the road connecting Volterra and Florence. The municipality had a storage space nearby, to keep the salt that was going to be brought to Florence. This is also where the gabelle, the tax on salt, was paid during the Middle Ages.