The Sant’Alessandro Church in Volterra
and its ancient roots
The ancient roots of the church seem to date back to a pagan temple, whereas the church was consecrated in 1120 by Pope Callixtus II.
Built with sandstone ashlar, it has a simple structure with a beamed ceiling and a square choir. A loggia from the 16th century hides part of the facade, which is refined by three big arches on top of pilaster strips with a semi-pillar. The door to the church is under the central arch, whereas the steps under the side-arches lead to the door itself. On the left side of the building, there’s a 13th-century-lunette portraying a hunting scene over a small now sealed up door.
A painting of a cross by a Tuscan artist dating back to the 12th century is kept in the church.
There are also two panels portraying Saints Atinia and Greciniana, two of the few remaining parts of the majestic altar made by Cosimo Daddi in the 16th century.
A 15th-century-tabernacle is located on the right wall of the presbytery. It originally comes from the Santi Pietro e Paolo church in Coiano, in the municipality of Castelfiorentino, Valdelsa, but is part of Volterra’s diocese.