The San Lino Church in Volterra
named after the second pope of the Christian church
Raffaello Maffei commissioned the construction of the church and its attached monastery in 1480. His grave is now inside the church, on the left side of the main altar. The religious compound is named after San Lino, Saint Peter’s successor as a pope and member of the Mauri or Murria family.
The church has a simple one-nave structure, meant to be used mainly by the inhabitants of the attached monastery and to reflect the discretion of the order. The facade is austere and with no iconographic or architectural signs apart from the beautiful stone door.
There used to be a polychrome bust of S. Lino by Benedetto Buglioni from the 16th century in the facade, which is now kept in the Museum of Sacred Art.