The Church of San Giovanni Battista in Pomarance
Interior decorated with fine paintings
The church was built during the 12th century in the center of the Pomarance castle. During the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries it was strongly restored and its original appearance has been greatly modified.
The stone façade still has numerous medieval decorative elements, particularly in the capitals with vegetal and animal elements, which testify to its importance and richness.
The interior was decorated in 1835 by Luigi Ademollo with scenes from the old and new testament, there were also preserved valuable works of art, such as the fourteenth-century Madonna del Cardellino, of the Sienese school or the Madonna and Child by an unknown author of the XIII century.