The “borgo” of Canneto
beetwen Valdicecina and Maremma
The castle of Canneto, already known in 1084, is located in the valley of the Sterza stream, along the road connecting the Valdicecina to the Maremma.
It was built in a large plateau dominating the valley and it has a characteristic circular floor plan.
The castle was a part of the S. Pietro in Palazzuolo abbey and it became part of the municipality of Volterra at the beginning of the 13th century. Today, the medieval walls are almost intact, as well as some remains of walls that have been incorporated in modern buildings.
In summer it becomes a venue for different festivals and events all based on food.