In a dominant position
marks the profile of the village
The Belforti noble family, controlling Volterra at that time, built this tower during the 11th century. Built on fortresses of remote times, today it can be visited and, from its top, it offers the wonderful view of the horizon stretched from the hills to the sea.
The imposing Belforti Tower stands on the edge of the borgo (forti ed hamlet) which, with its alleyways and squares, offers quiet, boundless panoramas and remains of a history dating back to 960, when the Montecatini Castle was built, at that time named Castrum Montis Leonis.
The heart of the ancient hamlet, at the foot of the Tower, is Piazza del Castello, which the Church of San Biagio looks over, dating to 1356 and housing works of art by Della Robbia and by Guido Reni.