Known as Acquae Volaterranae
and loved by Lorenzo De’ Medici, who ruled over Florence in the 15th century
The Bagno al Morbo was already a well-known spot in the ancient times, and it was documented in the ancient Peutinger Table with the name of Acquae Volaterranae.
In 1477, the transcripts of the council meetings of the Republic of Florence mention the thermal baths of Bagno al Morbo several times, referring to them as, after the needed reparations, “the best thermal baths in Italy”.
Around the same time, a spring of purgative water was discovered not far away from the baths and it was called San Luigi. Personalities of the time such as Lucrezia Tornabuoni, wife of Piero di Cosimo De’ Medici, Lord of Florence, Lorenzo de’ Medici and his wife Clarice Orsini oftentimes visited the Bagno al Morbo, together with other poets, musicians and humanists.
In April 1484 Bartolomeo Scala, writer, poet and Chancellor of the Republic of Florence, read out to Lorenzo some elegant latin verses he composed in those same thermal baths the year before.
A few centuries later, naturalist Targioni Tozzetti witnessed doctor Pietro Leoni, personal physician of Lorenzo and his wife Clarice, sing the praises of the thermal baths saying that the Bagno al Morbo had as many springs as the whole of Italy.
The water is renowned to have healing powers, especially against infertility in women.