Volterra’s Art School
The greatest have taught here
The building that is now home to the State Institute of Art was a project of architect Bruno Colivicchi. The contracts for the works were signed in the summer of 1931 and the building was finished after a few months, in 1932.
The school has the shape of an M, after Mussolini, and is a beautiful building with a linear style, characteristic of the Fascist time.
The building started its function as an art school in the academic year 1932/33. At first it mainly handled alabaster, but it was divided into different sectors in the 1960s: alabaster, wood and metals.